Home

Sunday, April 7, 2024

Book Review: Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War #1) by Mark Lawrence

Prince of Fools (The Red Queen's War, #1)Prince of Fools by Mark Lawrence
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

It took me a week to read it, but I liked it. It was action-packed and it was really fun to read and enjoy. I did like Jalan and Snorri, but to me, Jalan just kept trying to run away and not deal with his problems--all he wanted to do was go back to the Red March or go find one of the DeVeer sisters to chill and have a drink with. I felt like Snorri just took over the battles and fights and whatnot, while he was worried about the women and wine and the food he wanted to eat, all because of his title and what he was comfortable with.

And throughout the book, I felt so sorry for Snorri. He had to deal with Jalan and he was fighting to get back to his family, only for it to turn around and find out that they are all dead, and now he has Asluag in his ear while Jalan has an angel named Baraquel in his. I did like the way the gods were used in the book-it was very interesting, along with the magic system. But other than that...I really was annoyed with Jalan and how he kept running away from pretty much every single thing he could think of, yet he could run to every single girl he saw and bed them without a care in the world. It annoyed me to the point that I really didn't like him as much, and I started to really like Snorri a lot more because at least Snorri did something instead of whining, complaining about him, and doing absolutely nothing to help Snorri in his task to finding his family and killing the man that did it.

So I didn't point out everything wrong with Jalan, but let's turn our attention to Snorri, whom I really liked the most out of the two. Snorri was a gentleman, even though he was a Norseman. He dealt with Jalan, even when he didn't want to, and he forced him to think on his toes instead of with his lower half. I really enjoyed being immersed in the stories that he told about his travels and trials when he was walking towards the Black Keep to save his wife and son, only to turn around and do it again, but with a couple men and his whit about him. I hope he'll be alright in the second book, and I really did enjoy this one. Snorri was my favorite, and Jalan just kept getting on my last nerve throughout the book.

But hey, at least they have a tavern right now, right??? Right??

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment