Home

Sunday, March 24, 2024

2 Book Reviews: For Butter or Worse & Once Upon a Dream

For Butter or WorseFor Butter or Worse by Erin La Rosa
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The enemies to lovers were there. It was beautiful. I loved Nina and Leo's banter. But the fake dating just threw me off to the point that it made me mad. I'm sorry, you have to plan out your dates and let the paparazzi and everyone believe that you're dating, and not organically date and fall in love? Um, no. I'm sorry, I don't like the fake dating trope. It is confusing to me and I don't understand why they had to do it.

Now I loved how headstrong Nina was. She tries so hard to stay away from Leo and wants nothing to do with him. She wants to focus on her restaurant. But after quitting her cooking competition show after Leo's digs, her publicist came up with a great, but really stupid idea: why don't you two fake date after the paparazzi caught y'all in a very precarious situation. No. I'm sorry, but no. That is the stupidest idea I've ever heard. But the more I kept reading, the more annoyed I was about this trope and how I felt like it didn't work with the enemies-to-lovers trope as well. It didn't. It just confused me more, like why couldn't they fall in love organically, and then they can go on dates and whatnot? That was what I was hoping for. But instead, they just went on these really cute dates, not gonna lie, and then they fell in love.

Leo just...Leo felt boring. Yes, I felt sorry for him with his anxiety attacks and him just taking care of his father's restaurant, but he felt like cardboard and really wasn't interesting and someone I didn't think would work as Nina's fake boyfriend. I was falling asleep each time his parts came up. I wanted him to do something fun and exciting and do something grand...but I felt like in this book he didn't, which was sad because Nina needed someone like that.

I am glad they got together, but that middle part just...kinda ruined it, tbh. I wanted violence from cardboard Leo, but he just...didn't do anything. It made me upset that he didn't, but then he had the anxiety attack, which let him off the hook. But it did start with Nina sending that text message to the wrong person, and no, I'm not blaming her, but it did start with her.

I'm glad they aren't doing a show together anymore and all that, but I don't like the fake dating trope at all, but I'm going to give it another go to see if it's just this book that made me hate it.

View all my reviews

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Once Upon a DreamOnce Upon a Dream by Liz Braswell
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I'm so glad I FINALLY read this book because I enjoyed it. This is my first time reading a Sleeping Beauty retelling, and I enjoyed it. This one is about Sleeping Beauty (Aurora Rose) and how she was stuck in a dream world she created, but the only way to get out of this world she created, she had to defeat Maleficent. See, in the other world where she is sleeping, Aurora is sleeping and Maleficent is supposed to be dead...or is she? In the dream world that Aurora created, Maleficent is her aunt (weird, I know), they hold balls and dinners and stuff every month, and Maleficent keeps telling Aurora that she cannot go outside to the Outside World because "it's dangerous." Well one day, Aurora starts to realize that things aren't what they seem, and that everyone in the castle is starting to either disappear or act strange.

Disappear is right. One night Aurora goes up a tower and finds her dear Auntie Maleficent killed someone and dips her staff into the blood...and Maleficent gets younger and powerful. So what does Aurora Rose do? She escapes and goes to the Outside World, which was supposed to be poisonous, dangerous, and painful...but is cool, has breathable air, and animals that are alive and well.

It looks like "Aunt Maleficent" was lying to her.

While Aurora explores this Outside World, that's when she meets Prince Philip, and the two decide to team up and fight Maleficent, and also get her memories back. The more she's around Philip, the more she starts to fall for him, even try to remember him, but some parts cracked me up, like when she told him to shut up when she wanted to smack him upside his head....there were many funny parts in this book, but I cannot for the life of me remember. I do remember the parts when the memories of her life outside of the dream world and the Outside World collided and she had headaches. All of that-I got worried that she wasn't going to survive it. Still, she recovers, and the two move on and meet the fairies that were "bad" in Maleficent's world, but in reality, they were Aurora's real aunties, even though she was upset that they didn't tell her about the deal and why they had to take her away from her parents.

Speaking of her parents, they were in the book for a short moment before they were killed by Maleficent, which sucked by the way. But other than that, the fight between Aurora Rose, Maleficent, Prince Philip and the fairies was kind of a let down, tbh. I was hoping for the same thing to happen in the Outside Dreamworld, but instead it just...kinda fell flat because of the fact that it took Aurora to create a spindle, tear the needle off from the thing, and then stab her with it. Yes, it was fun and interesting and a nice twist, but the way Maleficent died...kinda made me a tiny bit sad, but at the end it ended nicely, without Aurora and Philip still together, but not married (thank god, tbh.).

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment