Home

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Book Review: Critical Role: The Mighty Nein: The Nine Eyes of Lucien by Madeleine Roux

Critical Role: The Mighty Nein—The Nine Eyes of LucienCritical Role: The Mighty Nein—The Nine Eyes of Lucien by Madeleine Roux
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Listen: Lucien Tavelle didn't do anything wrong, he was minding his own business when he found the Somnovem and decided to become one of them, yep, that's what happened. Even though I haven't watched CR in a LONG time, reading this book made me love Lucien and watch him grow from that kid in Shadycreek Run into the most beautiful twisted man that I have grown to love. Reading how Lucien got to where he is now with their friends, and also seeing the Mighty Nein and Essek as well was fun.

Reading how Lucien was betrayed and killed was also pretty interesting to me as well, mostly because I wasn't even expecting the whole betrayal to go down. I thought Vess DeRonga was going to play nice and help The Tombtakers, but instead, under their noses, she turns around and betrays them, turning the whole spell around and shattering Lucien's soul. Then months later, once Mollymauk passed, Molly ended up in his head, and I have to say, it was bloody brilliant to see. Also reading the many voices of the Somnovem talking to Lucien as he figures out what he wanna do once he finds the journal of the mad mage and figures out the spell that'll open up to the Cognouza, so he can live there and bring his friends that died come back to life.

I got worried during the final battle that the Mighty Nein wasn't going to stop him (no, why wouldn't I cheer on Lucien? I was, I swear!) and when they threw almost everything at him and Lucien was going to win, I think it took a lot and Molly to finally destroy Lucien and he died, but the epilogue, when he rose from the grave again, this time as Kingsley Tealeaf...oh my goodness.

I really loved Lucien's character, even from the beginning. He knew what he wanted, even when he came across the Somnovem and the journal and how he became one with the philosophers, and then seeing his rise and fall, TWICE, was very interesting to read and watch, and to see what happened to him once all of it was over. I loved the characters and the action and everything else-very well written, really enjoyed myself.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment