Home

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Book Review: The Lost Library by Rebecca Stead and Wendy Mass

The Lost LibraryThe Lost Library by Rebecca Stead
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was such a really cute book, and I really loved the mystery aspect of the book. I liked how Evan, Al, and Mortimer all had chapters talking about books, solving the mystery of the burned-down library, and how someone really wanted to see someone named Petunia. I also really liked how Evan's father explained how the fire started, and also how he was H.G. Higgins, and why he freaked out the moment he saw Evan's books he picked up from the little library.

I think my favorite part of the book was Mortiner's point of view. I've never seen a point of view from a cat, and I have to say, I really like that in a book. I liked that he became the guardian of the little library, and everyone called him every single name instead of the name he was named. When it came to fire, he got all the mice together and they told the story while he was meowing, and it got the adults in the book to act to build a new one.

The only character I kinda felt sad for was Al, who was actually alive and was taking care of both Mortimer and the ghosts. I thought she was a ghost as well, but it turns out she was still alive after Edward, Evan's dad, saved her from the library's fire. But I quite liked the description of the ghosts and how they left her while it turns out she was human this whole time. However, I did also find it cute that she had given the ghosts cheese and tea while they were living in the history house.

Back to the mystery aspect of it, I really enjoyed that. It was fun trying to solve a mystery through the lens of a fifth grader, who was writing everything down in his notebook and had his friend helping him through it all, including his dad at the end. I really liked that in this book and I want to read more books like this and trying to solve mysteries through a kid's lens-it was really fun and I liked how he and his friend tried to solve the mystery before and after they graduate.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment