Home

Sunday, November 26, 2023

Book Review: The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker

The King Slayer (The Witch Hunter, #2)The King Slayer by Virginia Boecker
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

The King Slayer, once again, was another hit for me. It took me and Elizabeth to many places that I never thought it would take me. From finding out Blackwell was a wizard to him becoming king, to the battle that felt like it was a distraction to something else Blackwell was up to. I had to hold me breath a bit while I was reading this book, and once I was done, it was both refreshing and sad at the same time that the events that led up to the final battle made me happy that Blackwell was gone, but someone had to die in order to do it.

Now the romance in the book between her and John...to be honest, I really didn't care about it. All I cared about was Elizabeth's journey from being an ex-witch hunter to a woman who saved the world and also saved an exiled king. But I have to say, the relationship in the books was cute and adorable between the two, and I was kinda sad that they weren't going to get back together, but then they surprised me and they got back together, even though Elizabeth gave John her stigma when he died. And when King Malcolm came towards the camp, Elizabeth was triggered by memories of what he did to her (which was such an ooof), but I was glad to see that he, slowly but surely, helped out with the war and got hurt.

The thing that shocked me throughout this book was the fact that Caleb and some of the witch hunters who died were revenants, which was both terrible and completely messed up. They didn't even listen to Blackwell most of the time and looked like they were about to split from him. Once he died, I think that's what Caleb did, and it makes me wonder what happened to him once he left.

The ending was perfect. Even though I wished for a book three, I think ending it as a duology is perfect to me, and it makes me think that Virginia Boecker tied it up pretty nicely, leaving the reader with open-ended questions that would be answered in a novella or something. But I think this is the perfect ending for this series, and I hope she writes more books so I can read them all.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment