Home

Monday, November 6, 2023

Book Review: Jackaby by William Ritter

Jackaby (Jackaby, #1)Jackaby by William Ritter
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Jackaby surprised me. I didn't think I would like a book about a detective who is Sherlock-coded (even though I hate that word throughout my body) solve a mystery in America-and yet I did. I couldn't stop reading it and seeing the world through Abigail Rook's eyes was quite fun. I did chuckle at the cheeky humor whenever Jackaby talked and how Abigail took in almost everything about the murder scene, which was written really well, and I also liked how the supernatural creatures were put into the story.

I was hoping for some Doctor Who vibes, which is what I was honestly looking for, but the only vibes I've gotten is the Sherlock Holmes vibes, and I'm just silently waiting for Moriarty to pop up and be the Napoleon of Crime in the city of New Fiddleham-which, I find, I really like. I was hoping to read about London, but I liked reading about a town in New England and a man and a girl run around town solving murders.

The supernatural creatures in this book were pretty fun to read about. I loved reading about the werewolf and the redcap-two very different creatures but the fight was actually pretty darn good. I wasn't even expecting the Commissioner to be the redcap, but after Abigail said that he had a metal leg, I believe it was, I couldn't stop thinking about the Commissioner and how he was trying to hide what he was.

The only reason why this is a four star and not a five is because of the Doctor Who vibes, but I think it went over my head when I was reading this book and just settled for the American Sherlock Holmes who can see supernatural characters and try to solve murders that only he can solve. And I think that's why I enjoyed the book. Yes, it was funny when Abigail threw books at the Commissioner, but at least it kinda stopped him.

I think one day I will pick the next book up and read it all, to see if it still has this momentum because I really enjoyed this book.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment