Home

Friday, September 29, 2023

Book Review: Snow and Poison by Melissa de la Cruz

Snow & PoisonSnow & Poison by Melissa de la Cruz
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This is a Snow White retelling that was okay. I liked how the story was-it was entertaining and enjoyable. But when it came to the execution, it was a couple of chapters too long. I did care about the characters, which was good, but when it came to the retelling, it was alright, nothing to run home and tell Mama about.

I did like the relationship Snow White, or Sophie had with her stepmother. I was honestly waiting for the stepmother to hate Snow White and go evil, but instead, she was always helping Sophie, and even helped her when the things she thought she did were evil was actually helping her. Which was both shocking and really good in a good way. I really like that dynamic, and her father is kind of helping her, but at the same time, he really doesn't help her at all. How he died was sad, but it helped the both of them get stronger, in my opinion.

Prince Philip...eh, he was okay. He wasn't the kind of dude I would hang out with, but I can see why Sophie fell in love with him. Placing the story in Bavaria was pretty interesting, and it set the tone of how the story would be told. I think I would like to see more of Bavaria, but then I realized as I kept reading...I didn't give one flying flip about Spain. I don't know why, maybe it was King Ferdinand doing all this horrible stuff to break Philip and Sophie up. Maybe it's because of how Sophie had to escape from his men-I don't know, but I felt like close to the ending it felt flat.

I did like the children in the book and how they all grew to love Sophie when she taught them how to read. All of them were so cute and adorable, and I'm glad that Sophie and Philip adopted them.

All in all, this was an okay retelling of Snow White. Nothing to come home and tell mama about, tbh.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment