Home

Saturday, September 23, 2023

Book Review: This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron

This Poison Heart (This Poison Heart, #1)This Poison Heart by Kalynn Bayron
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book pleasantly surprised me. I wasn't expecting to love it, but when I did get down to the nitty-gritty and get past the plant parts of the book because, to be honest, I was getting bored of them and was about to go to sleep with all the plants. But when you bring up Greek Mythology, that's when you got my attention. I really liked how Briseis took care of the plants and explained what they were. I also really liked Karter up to the end of the book. And Marie might just be one of my favorite characters because of the fact that yes, she's way older than Briseis, but at the same time, she's smart and she kinda of reminds me of Undead Murder Farce's Aya Rindo-without the not having a body part.

The way the magic system works in this book made me think of the D&D druid. She's growing flowers, including poisonous ones, and she does her research on who Medea was and why her family is a descendant of her and always prays to Hecate. I also like Briseis's mothers and how they were always protective of her, though I really didn't like how her mother passed. I really didn't. I was also kind of suspicious of Mrs. Redmond and how she was so nice, but in reality she wanted the heart for herself for a really stupid reason, to be honest. Just because you're a descendant of Jason doesn't mean you can just get it and you can walk among the gods. Nah. Don't work that way.

Kaylnn Bayron's writing pulled me in, and I'm so glad that I read this book. I was scared a little bit that I wasn't going to enjoy it, but the more I read it, the more I did, and I liked how the plants and the Secret Garden and the mythology all seamlessly combined to make a really good book. I would like to read more from this author as I expand my reading and find out what I like and don't like.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment