Home

Tuesday, September 5, 2023

Book Review: Ace of Spades by Faridah Abike-Iyimide

Ace of SpadesAce of Spades by Faridah Àbíké-Íyímídé
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Even though this book is supposed to be Gossip Girl meets Get Out (never seen it before) I thought it was Gossip Girl meets Pretty Little Liars, and it was SO PERFECT. Black Dark Academia trying to stop someone from trying to ruin their lives, while also uncovering who they are and stopping them? My god this was perfect. I honestly bought this book because of the title (yes, Motorhead did come to my mind when I saw the title) but now, after reading this book and really loving it (please check the CWs because GOOD LORD) I didn't want this story to end.

Chiamaka became my favorite character in the book. I was worried about Devon while I was reading it, because of the fact that his relationships seem to go wrong, and he was getting betrayed left, right, and sideways. Chiamaka's relationship with Jamie then Belle looked like it was going swimmingly, then it got ruined because of Aces spilling her secrets. When both Chiamaka and Devon team up to find out who Aces is and why they are doing this to them-the only black students in a predominately-white school. But when the both of them found out about the history about the school and how the black students that went there disappeared...

Wow.

Oh my god.

I wasn't expecting it, it came out of nowhere, and my mouth DROPPED.

I wanted both Devon and Chiamaka to expose this horrible school for what they did and are doing to the black students that went there. And they tried at the Snowflake Ball, but sadly, it looked like everything was going to backfire on them, when the protest happened and the school blew up. I did get worried that Chiamaka wasn't going to be a doctor, and thank god that she did. I'm also glad that the both of them are in really good relationships and that they are fighting the system.

This was a really good black and queer dark academia novel, might be one of my favorite books of this year, and I highly reconmend all of y'all to read it.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment