Home

Thursday, September 28, 2023

Book Review: The Coven by Harper L. Woods

The Coven (Coven of Bones, #1)The Coven by Harper L. Woods
My rating: 2 of 5 stars

Yes, I gave this book a five star. But the more I marinated on it, the more it's just a simple two-star star book-for so many reasons.

1.) Williow Medizza was a flat, boring character. I have never read a one-dimensional character like Williow before. Ever. She was off being a badass without caring about anything else. Her magic was cool, but everything else about her made me want to just skip her whole entire chapters completely. She honestly made me want to go to sleep because she just...didn't want to do anything that would help pertain to the book or the plot.

2.) Literally, no magic was in this book.. The only magic that was in the book was Willow's and no one else's. No other witchy things happen in the book and I got upset because there was no magic in it whatsoever. It was like the author forgot about the magic part about a school, there was no group of girls going outside and doing magic-none of that. I wanted to learn more about the other witches and the magic system, and...and it just wasn't there. No magic system, no explaining the different types of witches and their magic, no nothing. It felt like it was bare and nothing happened in the magic that screamed magic.

3.) The mystery was okay. It was alright, nothing to run home and tell Mama about it. I wish there were more figures out than Willow trying to fix everything and such. The investigation was bland and I didn't have time to find out who did it and why. Why didn't she go deeper? Who was doing all of that to these students?

4.) I only cared about Thorne and no one else.. Thorne was the most interesting character I've ever read about, and I honestly cared about him. He can say terrible things to me and I'll thank him for it and ask him what's next. Thorne was such an interesting character that I loved so much that he's one of my book boyfriends. But everyone else can go away and I'll never see them ever again-just give me a Thorne-focused book and I'll be happy as a lark reading all about him.

5.) There was only one class in this book-no other classes. If you're going to write a dark academia-type novel, write a novel where the characters go to classes and see how they feel during those classes. Having one class in the book makes me feel like no one else goes to this school, and they only go to this one specific class every day. I found that not realistic, and on top of that, there was no information about the school or how the school functions with the Covenant being skeletons and things like that.

I don't think I'll pick up book two, even though the ending shocked me. I wish this book gave more than it did, without falling flat for me.


View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment