Home

Monday, February 12, 2024

Book Review: The Serpent and the Wings of Night by Carissa Broadbent

The Serpent and the Wings of Night (Crowns of Nyaxia, #1)The Serpent and the Wings of Night by Carissa Broadbent
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book, like Amari, completely broke me, but in a different way.

My favorite thing about this book, first and foremost, is the relationship between Vincent and Oraya. Yes, she's his daughter (I thought she was adopted, but after the ending and what it was revealed, yeah they're related), but I found it odd that Vincent treated her like his own progeny instead of a daughter, which was shocking. Secondly, almost every thought Oraya had, sounded like Vincent's voice, which made me oddly believe that they had the same kind of relationship like the vampires from Vampire: The Masquerade. But when it was revealed that she was his daughter and she was a half-vampire, well...things changed for me.

Secondly, this was my first time reading a book with a tournament setting. I didn't read The Hunger Games because I thought I wouldn't like it, but after reading this book, I kinda wanna read more about tournaments like this and why they were so bloody. I mean, the Kejari sounds like fun, but after reading and witnessing the pain, death, and trauma that it causes the contestants participating in them, I was kinda scared, to be honest, that I wasn't going to enjoy this book. But the more I read, the more I got worried for nearly all of them, including what happened to Mische.

Thirdly....Raihn Ashwhatever his last name is because I forgot. I liked Raihn. I wanted to make fun of his name. But I fell for him, even was about to put him in my Garden of Tall Men. But no. He turned around and betrayed me AND Oraya at the end once she wished for him to win instead of her, and I was shocked. DISHONOR ON HIM, DISHONOR ON HIS COW, DISHONOR ON HIS WHOLE ENTIRE CLAN for what he did to Oraya. And that boastful promise he made? BRUH. On sight the next time I ever read the second book, because WTF--why would you say that??? I know it was to protect her BUT WHY??? Ugh, I hated that part of the book.

The way Vincent died once he found out who Raihn was...it was painful to read (and I did gasp when I read it) but OMG it hurted so much. Like, bad. I wasn't expecting that to happen to Vincent, even though he deserved it after going to war with the Rishan, for no reason, and then destroying the city his daughter was born and came from. I had a major side eye when it came to him, and I'm so glad that I was right on the money about it.

Will this make me read the next book of the series? Yeah it would make me do that. I'm just gonna take a break first and then I'll read it, to see how it ends because WTF I'm still not over it. I just need to relax for a moment, read some good books, and then I'll come back to this world because it was just so good.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment