Home

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Book Review: Wedding Cake Killer by Livia J. Washburn

Wedding Cake Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #7)Wedding Cake Killer by Livia J. Washburn
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

CW: murder (off-screen), conmen

So this small town Texas cozy mystery is basically if Dororthy Zbornak was a retired schoolteacher in Weatherford, TX solving mysteries and also at the same time getting in trouble with the DA and the law…somehow. Because I felt like I was going to become a senior citizen once I was done with this book. I liked it but I just didn’t like how the DA was acting when the best friend’s partner died and blamed her for it…like she had a really good reason to kill her husband.

On top of that, they didn’t know Roy that well until they found out by a private investigator that he was a conman, falling in love with women and then getting all their money and leaving. It’s like it came out of nowhere, and I was kinda thrown back a bit, because I just thought that Roy was just a good ol’ boy who loved Eve, but it turns out homie was a conman who was murdered at a bed and breakfast…ah. Interesting.

In the middle of all of this is Phyllis, Weatherford’s Sherlock Holmes, who owns a house and shares it with her friends Sam, Eve, and Carolyn. I felt like, throughout the book, I was hanging out with 60-something year old people trying to solve a murder that happens after a wedding…which was out of the blue for me because I thought Roy and Eve was going to be together forever. Looks like that’s not going to be the case, and that she’s a widow after she married about three times I believe.

I liked this book, the recipes sound good and I didn’t like the DA in the book. He just rubbed me the wrong way.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment