Home

Monday, August 31, 2020

Book Review: The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (Wayfarers, #1)The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

*clears throat*

Hello, my name is Brittany, and this is my first sci-fi novel that I actually enjoyed.

I don't read sci-fi that much, but when Anna said that this was the next pick for the book club, I had to pick it up and read it, to see if I was either gonna hate it or not. It turns out that this cozy sci-fi story is actually pretty good. Sure it didn't have that much action in it, but it does have a tiny bit of romance in it, some really good sci-fi soap opera, and of course, space stuff. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet was really good to the point that I just picked up another one (actually, Doc wanted to know someone's thoughts about the second book, and I just checked it out once I got done with this one to see if the second one exceeds my expectations like this one did.)

So this book is about a woman named Rosemary Harper and she was hired to be on this ship called the Wayfarers, and she meets the crew-Sissix, Kizzy, Ohan, Dr. Chef, Ashby, Jenks and a AI named Lovey. They get a job from the GC, and they go to different places to get their supplies and relax a bit before they go to Hedra Ka. Rosemary and Sissix get together and it was so cute that I was shocked when they did. To tell you the truth I didn't see it for a moment, but I think when they were in the market and she saw how Sissix handled that other Aandrisk woman, Rosemary felt sorry for Sissix and thought that there were something missing in her life. They even went to her homeplanet and met Sissix's children (or egg children or something like that).

I liked the relationship with Ashby and Pei. Yes, it's a sexual relationship, but the way they cared for each other and how they had to keep their relationship a secret because of the fear of the blacklash from the Aeluons. I liked how they like each other enough to care for each other, and then when she heard what happend to Ashby, she decided to come and see him, not giving a fuck about the blacklash or anything.

But the thing that shocked me the most was when I learned the Corbin was a clone. A clone. Now that...that shocked me the most. I thought he was a normal human who got on the Wayfarers, but it turned out that he wasn't. And reading his backstory of how he came to be...oh my god. That was the saddest thing I've ever read ever. I felt sorry for Corbin and who is father was. And that his father is in jail. Like Space jail. Holy hell.

I really enjoyed this book, and now I'm off to book two!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment