Home

Saturday, January 1, 2022

Book Review: Closer to the Chest by Mercedes Lackey

Closer to the Chest (Valdemar: The Herald Spy, #3)Closer to the Chest by Mercedes Lackey
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

Closer to the Chest, though it was a good book, had some parts in it that were super slow. I felt like the story was dragging on and on and wasn't gonna get to the good parts, which came at the end of the story. But I really like the story, and the relationship between Mags and Amily. They are cute, loving, and they cared for one another, even when trying to figure out this mystery of the Poison Pen and the vandalism of stores ran by women, along with religious sects that are ran by women, like the Temple of Ardana. They try to link up why all of the misogynistic shit has been happening, and they linked it up to the Temple of Sethor, who are so, so misogynistic to women for no apparent reason.

The Temple of Sethor thinks that women should be listening to their husbands, keep their heads down and not speak, which, to me, is a bunch of bullshit. But they have been sending horrible letters to young ladies at the Colligate School, making them so afraid that one of them tried to kill themselves, but thanks to the quick work of the Heralds and the Companions, they pull the girl out before anything terrible happened to her, which I'm glad for. Then a Sister of the Ax I believe came to see the girl, and told her that she's going to join their order to get a spine, which is truly a really good thing.

But the defiling and sacrilegious temples ran by women and also kicking one out of their normal home was the most horrible thing I've ever read in the book, but at the same time, they do save the women and make sure they are taken care of, which is something I really liked as I read this book. But hearing what happened to that music teacher who did those horrible things to the girls that he was teaching was bad that I almost cried. But at the end, the Temple of Sethor was no more, and everything can go back to normal.

I actually enjoyed the book, even though there were some parts of it I really didn't like. I really like the relationship between Amily and Mags, especially when Mags changes identities-Harkon, Magnus, Parkler, and I also liked how Amily was involved with everything and make sure Mags was okay. I've never read the beginnings of their story, which is my bad, but they were so caring and loving to each other that I loved each and every bit of it, and reading the anger when Mags got his instruction to kill his own wife, which is fucked up by the way, but I'm glad they stopped the Temple of Sethor before anyone gets more hurt.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment