Home

Tuesday, January 18, 2022

Book Review: Maplecroft (The Borden Dispatches #1) by Cherie Prest

Maplecroft (The Borden Dispatches #1)Maplecroft by Cherie Priest
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This was my first horror novel and I have to say, this book didn’t scare me as much as I thought it would be. I honestly came in the book without knowing anything about the horror aspect of it, only that it was a reimaging (I think please correct me if I’m wrong) about Lizzie Borden and why she killed her parents (well dad and step mother). But this book, I think, was really good and I did jerk and it made me catch my breath, but all in all, I truly enjoyed it.

This book had multiple POVs, something I’ve never read in a book before because I just…never picked one up until now. But I find that I liked reading those multiple POVs from Lizzie, Emma, Dr. Seabury, Nance and Dr. Zollicoffer. I liked reading how they’re trying to figure out what it is that’s plaguing the town of Fall River, starting with Emma sending Dr. Zollicoffer a strange sample she found on the beach. As you read the novel, you follow how the sickness of what was in the water started to turn the people in town into something terrible.

The first deaths was a boy named Matthew and his grandmother Felicity-well, actually, the first person that ever got the ‘sickness’ that went around town. Matthew only picked up rocks and the like before he found a very special rock that started to change him into something very horrible, and one night, Ebenezer and Felicity went into Matthew’s room to check on him…only for him to be found swimming in the air and then kill his grandmother by picking her up by her hair and drowning her.

But the one “death” I guess we can call it that, is Lizzie’s lover, Nance. Nance had a couple POV chapters about her wanting to know what secret Lizzie is hiding, and she tricks (well more like seduce) Lizzie to get her key. When she gets the key after looking at the door and hearing the song of the thing in the water, she gets…I’m going to say possessed because that’s how I saw it, honestly, and that’s when things went downhill.

Nance grew gils and she had to be strapped down, but she kept whispering one word-”out”-and one day, Emma or Lizzie knows how, Nance slipped out of her bindings and left-no one knows how she escaped or what. Lizzie goes after her, calling her name, trying to get her to snap back to herself and to come back to her, but it doesn’t work as Nance leads her to the sea, and Dr. Seabury follows her, leaving Emma behind to deal with the possessed Dr. Zollicoffer.

Dr. Zollicoffer tries his best to convince Emma to leave with him, only for Emma to come back and kill him with her axe. I was almost certain for a moment that Emma would leave her sister (and she did at the end) and I applauded Dr. Seabury when he shot the water demons. In the end, Dr. Seabury started to slowly lose his mind, staying cooped up in the house and trying to find things and muttering to himself. Emma left the house and went somewhere-wherever she is, I hope she’s happy. And Lizzie…I have no idea where she is. Might be in a laboratory in Fall River or just still looking for Nance. I enjoyed this book and I can’t wait to read book two.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment