Home

Friday, June 4, 2021

Book Review: Tokyo Ghoul:re vol.1 by Sui Ishida

東京喰種トーキョーグール:re 1 [Tokyo Guru:re 1] (Tokyo Ghoul:re, #1)東京喰種トーキョーグール:re 1 [Tokyo Guru:re 1] by Sui Ishida
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This manga fell flat for me. Honestly, it was so confusing that I didn’t enjoy it like I thought I would. The only thing I liked about this story was the artwork and the one instance that Kaneki showed up. Other than that, the agents having to investigate ghouls with weird names like the Torso and Orochi, though when I saw that name the first thing that came to my mind was Orochimaru, oddly, and was actually looking for him.

So this manga is about a group of investigators who got implanted by a kagune, which is a ghoul organ of predation, which is weird as hell. They work for a organization called The Commission of Counter Ghoul (or CCG-weird, once again) and they’re trying to look for this ghoul called the Torso, who steals the Torso of women near hospitals, and they didn’t find him, but then Orochi showed up, and one of the investigators, Haise Sasaki...has the powers of Kaneki Ken inside him??? Weirdly??? Like...that part confuses me so much. I thought, ‘oh Kaneki is alive, working in Anteiku serving coffee, and living his best half ghoul life’ but I’m confused as to what happened to him and how he ended up in a nice, soft boy like Haise Sasaki?? I feel like I need a backstory to understand how that happen...or is Haise Sasaki IS Kaneki??? This is so confusing and I need someone to explain this to me.

There was one trans character, but I didn’t like what the Torso did to him, which is fucked up and that automatically turned me the fuck off because I really liked her. The other two-Shiraku and Urie?? I...I honestly didn’t care about them. I know it sounds like I’m bashing this manga, but I’m not. I’m just confused with the whole thing, and I feel like I need to read the first Tokyo Ghoul to understand it (I did watch the anime, but the first season). This one...felt like a let down because everything was so confusing that once I was done, I felt...unsatisfied. The action was okay, it lacked a bit, but it was an okay manga.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment