Home

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Book Review: A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy L. Lin

A Magic Steeped in Poison (The Book of Tea, #1)A Magic Steeped in Poison by Judy I. Lin
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book had a whole bunch of C-Drama vibes and also a whole lot of The Apothecary Diaries vibes, which I love so so much, which I why when I picked this book up to read, I wasn't expecting it to be this good. I really enjoyed the competition that was going on to find the next Shennong-shi, and I also loved the political intrigue and everything. I'm so glad that I got the second book so I can read more of this series, and also enjoy this book as much as I did the first one.

I liked the concept of magic being used with tea because it was a very interesting competition, and learning about the many types of tea leaves that exist in this world is very interesting to me. Mix in the political intrigue and the love story between Ning and Kang/Bo, and this is a perfect book. I did enjoy seeing the people in the background of the Palace and how they helped with the competition, and how in the end Ning, the girl who came to this palace to compete so she can save her sister from poison, but at the same time, Ning is thrust into a terrible world of political intrigue, and meeting people that would do anything to kill her or thrown into the dungeons forever.

I wasn't expecting Ning to have a relationship with Princess Zhen and her bodyguard/lover, Ruyi. I thought the princess was boring and was just there for show, but when Ning finally met her and actually got to know her, it felt like Zhen could be her friend while she goes on this journey to win the tea competition and get her wish to save her sister, only for it fall in her face when the evil Chancellor decided to get rid of her for good, bringing up her mother and how it was supposed to be her sister that was supposed to compete, not her. Then he sentenced her to a lot of lashes that would kill her. But thanks to the Shadow and Princess Zhen, Ning left Jia, the capital, and went back home, after she discovered that the handkerchief her sister made for her had a recipe for an antidote-and all it took was some crushed pearls that Kang was giving to his soldiers, and it helped her get rid of the poison in Shu’s body.

In the process, she got hurt by the snake that was chasing after her sister, and now they are about to head on a journey to try and stop Prince Kang and save Jia. The whole entire thing kept me engaged and I wanted to read more, to see how this book will end, and I’m so glad that I brought the second book so I can read it, because it was so good that I was sucked into the world, and I didn’t want to leave it. I cannot wait to get back into this world, to see how all of this ends because this book was amazing and I enjoyed myself.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment