Home

Friday, December 22, 2023

Book Reviews: Resting Scrooge Face by Meghan Quinn, A McKettrick Christmas by Linda Lael Miller and A Princess by Christmas by Julia London

Resting Scrooge FaceResting Scrooge Face by Meghan Quinn
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Even though it was short and sweet, this is my first time reading anything by this author, and I have to say, I enjoyed it. I really liked the letters between the two exes, and I almost laughed when they figured it out. I also enjoyed how it was revealed that senior citizens were behind putting the two exes back together! That was the sweetest part of the short story. I also like how they talked through everything in the letters and while they were painting, even though seeing each other around town almost killed them, to the point that one was hiding behind a trash can. All in all, really enjoyed this short story, might pick up more from this author.

View all my reviews

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A McKettrick Christmas (The McKettricks)A McKettrick Christmas by Linda Lael Miller
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I do read westerns, mostly from William W. Johnstone, and his westerns are oddly cozy but also have action in them. Now a Western romance is different, and I have to say, I...weirdly enjoyed this. I don't read a romance that much, and all it took was a nice cowboy on the cover to make me say, "Yeah, why not, let's read it." and boy howdy did I enjoy this one. It is very different from the bandits, shoot 'em up type books I like to read, but this one was pretty sweet.

Lizzie McKettrick is on a train heading to Indian Rock with Whitley Carson she was going to introduce to her family and maybe marry when an avalanche hits the train. There on the train, Lizzie meets and falls in love with Dr. Morgan Shane. While on the train, waiting on the promised saviors, she started to realize that Whitley is a manchild who didn't give a flying frick about helping people, and tried to go out in the deep snow, to try and escape. Instead, he broke his leg, got drunk, and told a baby to shut up. Yikes on bikes.

Once they were saved and everyone made it to Indian Rock, that's when Lizzie realized that she wasn't in love with Whitley and was in love, somehow, with Dr. Morgan. Even though she's about to be the new schoolteacher to Indian Rock's bright young students, she doesn't know her feelings for the new doctor, who will have to deal with weird ailments coming from beautiful young ladies who want the doctor's bedside manner. But after thinking about it and spending Christmas with her huge family, that's when she decided, even with the help of an "angel" by the name of Mr. Christian (or "Mr. Christmas" as the children on the train called him), that she did love him, and that she waited to marry him, which she did.

The funniest thing about this short book was the fact that one of the students, whose father was on the train and got sick, made her promise to be the teacher even if she was pregnant, which cracked me up, but I'm glad Lizzie made that promise to him. But the one good thing about this book was that she and Whitley became friends, and he went back to San Francisco and found himself a nice young lady to spend the rest of his life with.

Might read more Western romances if they're written like this, I pleasantly enjoyed this one.

View all my reviews

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A Princess by Christmas (A Royal Wedding, #3)A Princess by Christmas by Julia London
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

I was in the mood for a romance with a bit of political intrigue because of the webtoons I've been reading lately. So I picked this one up, and this had the political intrigue in it, but the romance kinda felt lacking, that's why it's a four-star. I did like the fact that the lost prince had a disability, but other than that, and also how the FMC Hollis was strong and a determined woman, but at the same time she feels like everyone is leaving her to go on to live their own lives, and she's stick in London with her servants that has turned into her friends, and all she has is her paper that her dead husband started, and she has been writing for a long time.

Marek Brendan is the lost prince of Wesloria, and he's in London to make sure the Weslorian/Alucian peace treaty is going through, but while that is happening, he falls in love with Hollis and even helps when her butler Donovan gets hurt one night while helping Hollis was information about four soldiers that came on a boat called the Anne Marie and there was a plot to kill the King of Wesloria so the peace treaty won't be valid and then that's when the people behind all of this ruin Alucia.

Even though he couldn't hear in one ear, he was happy on his farm with his dogs and his animals, but meeting Hollis, from what I can tell, changed his entire life, to the point that at the end, in front of her whole family, he asks her to come back home with him, and I got worried a tiny bit that she didn't. She did bring up that her whole life was in London, but then Caroline or one of her sisters said that she was the best wife to her Percy, and she'd been running his gazette for a while now, isn't time for you to follow your heart? And after Donovan told her that they'll be fine, Hollis at the end left to live in Wesloria with her husband and now had a baby with him, and still runs her Gazette from her home.

The one thing that bothered me was when Marek finally met the King and he saved him from the poisoning, but didn't reveal himself to be the lost prince of Wesloria. But it was his decision and I'm glad he stuck with it-because then he wouldn't have Hollis on his small farm with a baby being adorable at the end. Even though this did scratch that romance itch and also the side political intrigue story, it failed a tiny bit becasue of Marek not telling the King who he really was.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment