Home

Friday, October 13, 2023

Book Review: The International House of Dereliction by Jacqueline Davies

The International House of DerelictionThe International House of Dereliction by Jacqueline Davies
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This middle-grade read was SO CUTE. I really enjoyed reading about Alice fixing a house and helping the ghosts haunting the house move on. I almost cried reading this book, I laughed and giggled throughout the entire thing, and on top of that, I really cared about the characters as they tried to help one another with the thing they lost, and it wasn't that scary at all. It was just right, and I'm really surprised at how much I really loved this book. I wish there were more because of how much I really enjoyed this book. I didn't want it to end at all.

My favorite ghost in the book had to be Mugwort. At first, he was a bit grumpy and was repeating himself, but then he opened himself up to Alice more and more and even told her that she would make a fine soldier for everything she was doing for them. Danny had to be the sweetest ghost of them all, even though he hid in the walls and wailed all the time. I really liked how he put his poetry into code and Alice found someone who could encode it for her so Jenny, the girl Danny was crushing on, could read it. And I almost held my breath when Alice and Ivy went upstairs to retrieve Ivy's old book that she didn't turn in, but at least it was turned in when they fought off the Fury...which turned out to be a really old family member.

The mother and father in the book cracked me up a little bit while I was reading it, including the Mother's lectures, the titles were quite enjoyable and it made me wish I was there to actually listen to the lectures. As for the dad, he reminded me of my own daddy and how he would fix stuff or start a new project when he could. And I really loved Alice and how she had the mind and knack to put things back together again, that is something I've never seen in a character before.

I highly reconmend this book, it was really good and I enjoyed myself very much reading it.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment