Home

Friday, October 2, 2020

Book Review: The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan

The Governess Affair (Brothers Sinister, #0.5)The Governess Affair by Courtney Milan
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

CW: Mentions of Rape

So this is my first Courtney Milan book, and I have to say...I actually enjoyed it. Yes, there is a mention of rape in this book, because the female MC, Serena, was forced upon by a dumb-ass duke, annnd she’s pregnant. Oy. So what does a pregnant woman do when the baby daddy wants nothing to do with her? She stands outside the house everyday, hoping that the Duke can fix it.

Well, the Duke did...sending a man named Hugo Marshall, aka the Wolf of Clermont, to deal with her. The Wolf of Clermont was known to be a pugilist who has done some dark-ass shit for the duke, and then one day he met Serena, who’s hellbent on getting her revenge on the duke for forcing himself on her, and they fall in love, slowly. Even the passing of notes was cute, when he asked her to marry him, and she wrote, ‘Congratulations, you have scared me (I’m paraphrasing) and on top of that the wedding was adorable (though Hugo couldn’t remember any of it).

The consumating of the marriage...I felt that deep in my soul (have no idea that it would do that, but can I say that Courtney Milan writes really good sex?), but then Hugo had to mess it up when he said, ‘This is why I didn’t want to consummate the marriage’ afterwards, but when they did, the pin idea when they trade pins for an act was the most beautiful thing I ever did see before they consummated the marriage. But when he just...left her there so she can go to her small farm...I was mad as hell about it. She kept thinking that he loved her, and he would turn around and come back to her.

But I was really glad when Hugo got the truth out of Clermont-that he did indeed force himself on him. Hugo gave him a punch to the stomach and left to go to her, and that’s when they reunited (after writing letters back and forth to each other.) The last chapter in this novella was when we meet Robert and Marshall at Eton, where they find out that they’re brothers, and that’s when the ball started to roll…

I am going to read the next book in this series because it was so damned good! Can’t wait to read more!!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment