Home

Saturday, October 10, 2020

Book Review: The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch #1) by Rin Chupeco

The Bone Witch (The Bone Witch, #1)The Bone Witch by Rin Chupeco
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The Bone Witch would have to be one my favorite witchy books of 2020. I have never read a book like this before, and I enjoyed every bit of it.

So, Brittany, what is it all about?

Well it’s about a girl named Tea, who one day resurrects her dead brother from the grave without even thinking about it. Then a bone witch, or a Dark asha, named Lady Mykaela, comes into her village and takes her and her brother Fox, which is now Tea’s familiar, to a village where she will learn how to become a Dark Asha. At first, she pretty much had to work for a woman named Mistress Parmina and it was brutal, hard work, though it was simple enough. I never really liked Mistress Parmina because of how hard she was and how much work she made Ta do before she became an apprentice. Then one night someone told her to go to a tea house to deliver something...and that’s when things got bad.

Zoya, the princess, I believe, kept taunting her, and Tea got really mad to the point that she summoned bone mice and the skeleton of a long ago dead king, right in front of Prince Kance and Kalen. Tea pretty much blacked out after it happened, and then when she woke up, she found out that she will be an asha-ka in training (or i’ve gotten it backwards, and she’s already an asha-ka in training already).

And she takes classes like defense, singing lessons, dancing lessons, even fighting lessons, She even learned how to block Fox out of her mind, which made him worry and make him pound on the door, because he thought she was trouble. Tea also have another familiar, a horse she named Cloud, I think, and the two share her mind-her brother and a horse. Then came the time she put down a daeva-well, actually she told it to go away once it came towards Lady Mykaela, since she wanted to protect her.

Once the dragon daeva flew away, her brother Fox called her foolish, but was glad that she was alright. Then she called in front of the Elders, and she took their test and passed, though she thought she failed (same, I think that each time I take a test.) Then she had to go to parties for three months, but the dragon deva, the azi, was still out there, still alive, so she and her friends and her brother went out to go and kill it, but Tea got into it’s mind and made it obey her, and it did, and then it flew off into the water.

But the shocking part was when she had to confront the Faceless, which turned out to be a maid named Fahi, who’s real name is Anaeha. She tried to control Fox, only to fail when Chief came in through the door and knocked her down. Now she has four familiars-Fox, her brother, Chief, her horse, the azi and Anaeha. But what I loved the most about this book was the world building. It was so good that I got sucked in immediately and wanted to be a asha-ka myself (in my heart, I will be…) The narration was fantastic, and I enjoyed myself reading this book so much.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment