Home

Saturday, March 11, 2023

Book Review: The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater

The Raven King (The Raven Cycle, #4)The Raven King by Maggie Stiefvater
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

The last and final book of the Raven Cycle was pretty damned good. After Blue Lily, Lily Blue, I thought nothing would top that…until I opened up the Raven King. Once I did that, everything started to go to hell in the small town of Henrietta.

The book starts with the line “Depending on where you began the story, it was the story about …” and tells the story of the characters that the chapter will focus on. It has been repeated a couple of times, and I recognized it immediately-I and have done it myself in my last writing assignment for class, and I kept my eye on it each time it showed up. I liked the repeating sentence over and over again, giving us a bit of time to see the picture of how the story will go.

So new things are happening in this story that threw me for a loop while I was reading: one, the introduction of Henry Cheng and his RoboBee, two, the demon and the unmaking of Cabeswater, which was very weird because I wasn’t even expecting that to even happen. Third was Neeve being in the story for a bit. She was trying to help Piper, but sadly Piper decided to tell the demon to ‘unmake her’. The Piper tries to sell the demon to Seondok, who is Henry Cheng’s mother, and Piper’s father, Lamonier.

Sadly when that happened-I forgot the Gray Man was there as well and then that’s when the demon-or wasp or whatever-fed on Piper’s blood as she died. Like WTF??? Seriously?? Then the worst thing happened when Ronan went to dream, along with Adam trying to scry…to find Cabeswater destroyed by darkness, and Ronan’s mother Aurora unmade, which is extremely fucked up.

And when they finally decided to find Glendower, it took a murder of ravens to lead Gansey to him, only to find him dead. Then Gansey had to die, which was shocking but I kinda knew it was coming, though the thing about Blue kissing him coming true was still shocking to me. Like, I didn’t want that to come true, but it did. And Blue talking to Artemus while he was in the tree was fun but also very weird. She had to use the English translator to talk to him to get him out of the tree, which ultimately helped him get out of the tree that Blue loved and to get him to talk about his past and Glendower.

BUT CAN WE TALK ABOUT RONAN AND ADAM FINALLY KISSING AFTER THREE WHOLE BOOKS?! Please?! I knew they would get together, but I was hoping they would in book three. But during the going away party?? When everyone was downstairs enjoying themselves? I wanted more of them. I wanted to know what happened to them in the end-did they stayed together once Adam left for college (they did, I called it, they freakin’ did)? Did they try the old college online dating try? I need to know because I’ve become so invested in the

The ending, and the epilogue was pretty fun to read and glad that Adam went back to his parents and asked for an open relationship while he was going to college. And the end when Ronan thought of how Cabeswater can be protected, and he closed his eyes to dream…I got both worried and wondered what would happen next after he did that. Will Cabeswater come back to the knowing world or just stay there, protecting Henrietta while everyone heads off to college and beyond? These questions fill my head as I finish this series, and this also became my favorite series of all time.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment