Home

Monday, November 28, 2022

Book Review: The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye

The Crown's Game (The Crown's Game, #1)The Crown's Game by Evelyn Skye
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

The Crown’s Game was okay. I felt like it could be more, since I had some very high expectations for this book. I did like the Russian scenery and how magic was woven into it. But the whole thing with the game and how petty it was…it was a bit of a letdown. I was hoping for something else, I guess, even though the chapters were short. I was hoping for some action, romance, something. But it felt flat throughout the book. I mean, it does have some political intrigue, but then, that also felt flat as well.

The Tsar was eh, he wasn’t someone that wasn’t worth mentioning at all. Pasha and Nikolai being friends was the only thing I cared about, until the whole thing blew up between them at the tavern they were in, and then he had to become Tsar all thanks to Nikolai’s mother, Aizhana.

Speaking of Aizhana, she came out of nowhere. I wasn’t even expecting her, but when I did, it was like “oh…okay….moving on.” I really didn’t care about these characters at all, and they fell so flat for me, that the more I was reading, the more bored I actually got. At the end, somehow Nikolai revived Vika, which was cool and all, but then he just…died. No explanation of how he did it, he just…did. Which was sad in itself.

All in all, I didn’t care for the characters, the plot was okay, and I was hyped for this book, but it fell flat for me. I wanted to read the second one, but eh, decided not to. Glad I read this one, though.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment