Home

Sunday, June 19, 2022

Book Review: Katherine of Aragon: The True Queen by Alison Weir

Katherine of Aragón: The True Queen (Six Tudor Queens, #1)Katherine of Aragón: The True Queen by Alison Weir
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

This book is very dense and very exciting at the same time. You are reading the story of the first Queen in the Tudor history that was kind, stood up for her rights, and also very devoted to her stupid husband Henry. But before I go into my rant of why the holy hell I really don’t like Henry, but at the same time knows every single damn thing about his reign and each of his wives. This time, we start with his first wife, Katherine of Aragon.

This novel blew my mind a bit. There were things I didn’t even know about Katherine until I started reading this book, and I have to say, I really love how we see things in her perspective. I like how she tried so hard to fight for her rights and Mary rights, as her husband Henry turns his back on her and falls in love and marries Anne Boleyn, which I really don’t hate that much (not anymore) but in the book I really did. You read about the reformation through Katherine’s eyes and how she felt about it, which made me love her more.

Through her exile we see her dealing with sickness as she worries for her relationship, in which Henry keeps trying to get the divorce he wants in order to marry Anne Boleyn. She keeps her strength even through the trials and tribulations she went through-worrying about Mary, being an obedient wife, and also being a warrior, trying to keep her composure, even when Henry is exiling her and swearing up and goddamn down that they are not married-even taking away the title of Queen, something that Katherine is and it’s something that Henry’s men were trying to tell her that she didn’t have, that she was now the Princess Dowager.

I really like Alison’s writing, it was okay and exciting, nothing to run home and tell mama about. There were some parts I really didn’t agree with (Henry being a total dick, for one) but then after I read everything , I wanted to give this book a three star, but then after I thought about it, I decided to give it a four star.

Now for the rant about Henry VIII…YOU SIR, (even though he’s dead) DOESN’T DESERVE ANY KINDNESS, ANY HOLIDAYS, I HOPE YOU DON’T GET THAT PROMOTION YOU WANT, YOU DESERVE NOTHING!!!! Treating your first wife like that HOW DARE YOU, SIR?!

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment