Home

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Book Review: Christmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella

Christmas ShopaholicChristmas Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Hello Becky, god I miss you so much.

I decided to read this book for the booksocietynet’s Let it Snow Event, and I’m so glad that I read this book this year. Because oh my god, Beck Brandon nee Bloomwood is so ME when I find stuff for people (or just me, because it’s me) and she’s also so relatable that I can see myself in Becky as she goes through one thing to another.

So Becky is having her best life right now with her husband, Luke, and their adorable daughter Minnie. She’s working with her best friend Suze at Letherby’s, and she’s doing what she does best-shop online and order everything she can before Christmas. But then, oh no, her parents moved to Shoreditch (I researched that place, actually...I want to move there) and are becoming Shoreditchians (is that a word for them?? Is it?? If not then I’m declaring it), and Jess is in town! But she got on my last nerve when she kept saying that ‘glitter is problematic (WHICH IT IS NOT)’ and almost every little thing is problematic.

But then, when her parents says that Becky is going to host this year’s Christmas…

One word came to her mind: NANI?! (okay, maybe not nani. But it was a WHAT when she found out that she’s hosting Christmas) and off she goes, trying to find everything for the perfect christmas at her place. She also wants to find the best present for Luke, and she thought she can get some aftershave for him, but sadly after trying some as he slept and nearly blinding the poor man while he slept (poor Luke).

But that didn’t work, so she wandered around until she saw the PERFECT gift for Luke: a portmanteau. But….it was at a raffle at a billiards club.

So what does Becky do in order to get this portmanteau?

Hatches a plan to join club
Conspires with someone to get into club
Forgets whole speech when it’s her time to speak, makes up whole speech
Is very terrible at billiards actually, and she only got in because people thought she was talking about sex.

While all of that was going on, enter Becky’s ex-boyfriend, Craig Cruton and his psychotic girlfriend, Nadine. When I mean this woman is psychotic, she was psychotic. One, she wanted to talk to Luke about business, then she presented him with a plan for her business, but Luke calmly turned her down. Then she SHOWED UP AT MINNIE’S BIRTHDAY PARTY and tried to talk to Luke, but once again, Luke turned her down, saying no.

So being the witch that she is, she made up an email that does even sound like Luke, and sent it to everyone, canceling Becky’s Christmas. Becky was devastated that her Christmas, the one she worked hard for, ordered a LOT OF THINGS for, was canceled. But when Luke came to the rescue and went to Jess’s place to ask what happened, Jess showed her the email-and it wasn’t even Luke’s work email, omg-and after a lot of explanation (and showing the WhatsApp to Becky about what happened) then Christmas was back on….

And on Christmas Eve, Becky hunted down a hamster for her daughter because she wanted a hamster for Christmas, not a hamper (Becky thought she wanted a cute picnic hamper to go with her tea set...BOY WAS SHE WRONG) and she did get that hamster for Minnie...and the portmanteau came just in time for Christmas. And also THE ENDING WHEN BECKY GAVE LUKE HER WORD TO HIM. OMG. I FREAKED OUT BECAUSE OF THE WORD.

I hope she’s writing the next book of the Shopaholic series about this, because THAT WORD. I still can’t get over it.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment