Home

Thursday, June 22, 2023

Book Review: The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller

The Shadows Between Us (The Shadows Between Us, #1)The Shadows Between Us by Tricia Levenseller
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Okay…this book right here…brought it a month ago, had it on my kindle for the longest time and just never read it, and now that I read it, I still can’t stop thinking about it. Enemies to lovers, she fell first, the Shadow King is basically Gojo Satoru but with Shadow Magic? Bruh, I CAN’T with this book. I still love it though, but this book just took me places I didn’t even think was even possible.

My favorite characters in the book are Alessandra, Kallias, Rhoda and Hestia (I think that’s her name). I really enjoyed how Alessandra made a plan to kill Kallias once she became queen, but then, slowly but surely, she was falling in love with him without thinking about it. I think that was my favorite parts in the book-how she started to slowly fall in love with him without even thinking about it, asking him questions about his life, asking him about his shadows, just getting to know him. And when he was having problems, Alessandra came up with ways that actually helped the kingdom that I knew she was the perfect queen.

But Kallias…lemme talk about him for a minute. I thought he was just some old king who has this shadow magic that isn’t that scary. Until Alessandra went through him on that carriage ride, and the first thing I thought of once he explained how his shadow magic works was, and I wrote this down in the book: ‘He’s bloody Gojo.” Because yes, Gojo has infinity and can turn it off when he wants to, but Kallias has Shadow Magic. Homeboy can also turn it off and on if he wanted to, thus he’s fantasy Gojo…darn it.

But that little mystery of Alessandra killing her first love and making it a disappearance was kinda…stupid, in my opinion. She killed him, left him for dead, and then after a couple years later, people are hunting her down so she can confess that she did kill Hektor. When she told Kallias…all he did was laugh at her. That’s all he did-laugh. Apparently it was funny to him that she killed him so he won’t do it, and I was like…okay…cool beans, my guy…but was it that funny? Was it?? (Apparently to him, it was).

Another thing that I really liked about this book was the advice Alessandra gave to her friends. Some of them hit me while I was reading this book, and I was agreeing with her one hundred percent, even told Rhoda to go after her manservant. I really liked that about Alessandra, while she was trying to go through with her plan to kill Kallias so she can be Queen. But after the miscommunication trope rearing its ugly head again when Kallias found the poison to kill him along with finding out that his brother was still alive and parading around as Leonidas I think the name is and was trying to kill him was fun to read. But other than that, I really enjoyed this book. Might not be my favorite, but it was good nonetheless.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment