Home

Wednesday, May 24, 2023

Book Review: War Storm (Red Queen #4) by Victoria Aveyard

War Storm (Red Queen, #4)War Storm by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

War Storm by Victoria Aveyard was SO GOOD. I got scared for a moment that I really wasn’t going to enjoy it, but I did. I really loved the fact that it had multiple POVs, Cal was in his Mariah Carey/Toni Braxton/Bill Withers era when it came to Mare, because he kept looking at her and wanting her when he’s the new king, and it's like the Samos family and his grandmother are forcing him to marry Evangeline, who really doesn’t want to get married. All Evangeline wants is for her and Elane to be alone somewhere, far away so no one knows them. But I really enjoyed this book, even though I didn’t like some things.

The one big thing I didn’t like was Maven’s death. I felt like this was kinda not satisfying than Volo Samos’s. His was satisfying because Julian sang him to his death. Maven just ran around like a little bitch and goating Mare to kill him. Then when she does get near him, he chokes her half to death, and then when she stabs him (I think), he just…dies. I mean, yeah, because of the Silent Stone it would’ve gone differently if it didn’t end the way that it did.

Throughout the book, I was oddly cheering Evangeline on. I wanted this girl to have to happy ending SO BAD that I’m sitting here upset that she can’t get that happy ending because of what she had to do as a princess when all she wants to do is run off with Elane and be herself. When she finally realized that she could live the life she wants when she went to Monfort to see how Davidson lived with his husband without hiding her true self or anything, she started to want it, to crave it. At the end, she decided to run away once her parents tried to kill her (which was bullshit, by the way) and I hope she and Elara are living happily ever after.

Now Cal…Tiberias the Seventh, the True Flame of the North…this boy was going through his GoT type crap along with his Mariah Carey/Toni Braxton/’I must listen to every sad boi music because I miss Mare’ era. Like…he was still feein’ for this girl after he chose his crown over her. Then I felt like he was going through what his grandmother wanted when I don’t think he really wanted to do it. He shot her down with the idea that he must plant his flag in Delphie or wherever she wanted him to make capital, and he didn’t do it. Then he and Mare spent the night together, but after that one night, he didn’t talk to her until the Lakelander War and when the Lakelanders attacked. But Evangeline, before she ran off, told him that he can get his happy ending if she could too. In the end, he and Mare decided to be apart, to see what she wanted and what he wanted, and when they’re ready, they’re ready.

Iris’s point of view was pretty interesting. Reading hers was very interesting, from trying to manipulate Maven, getting Bracken’s children from Monfort, and even going home and working with her mother and sister to try and attack Norta and take it from Maven and Cal. Sadly, Maven kinda comparing her to a dog pee’d me off, but at the same time, she took it with pride when I wanted to pimp-slap the shit out of him. Then when she tricked Maven and gave him to his brother, I cheered. I really liked Iris-just that I hope she had a nice day.

And Mare…I just want Mare to be happy. I want Mare to live her best life and never let anyone get on her nerves. But after reading her chapters, that’s all she needs, in my opinion. She loves Cal so much, but at the same time, she wants to find Maven and punish him for everything he’d ever done. She wants to stay with her family, who moved from Piedmont to Monfort, I believe, but she keeps on moving. She almost lost Kilorn one time during an attack on one of the Tech Towns but thank god for Sara Skonos and her healing him. I was worried for Kilorn for a minute when that happened, but he’s good now, even though at the end I thought something really bad happened to him. But he was fine, and I really liked Tyton-he looks and feels like a silver-haired anime character, which was funny, and I got worried when she went after Maven one final time.

I really enjoyed this book so much, it’s a new favorite series and I would re-read it over and over again.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment