Home

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Book Review: King's Cage (Red Queen #3) by Victoria Aveyard

King's Cage (Red Queen, #3)King's Cage by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

May has been busy, but I’m finally reading like crazy now. King’s Cage was the first book I finished in May, and OH MY GOD…it hurt. It was an enjoyable ride, I hated Maven with all my heart, and I was not expecting the multiple POVs of Mare, Cameron, and Evangeline. In fact, Evangeline’s POV surprised me. I never really liked Evangeline, but the more I read her POV, the more I started to like her.

The book starts with Mare being a prisoner of the boy king, Maven Calore after she turned herself in after her brother Shade’s death. She couldn’t get in contact with her lightning because of the silent stone, her manacles, and her guards, which were Avrens. She did everything Maven told her to do, even though she hated every single minute of it. She had to give a speech, twisting the lies of the Scarlet Guard and painting them as terrorists, and was known as the leader of the Scarlet Guard. She was interrogated so badly by a man named Samson Merandus that she relived Shade’s death repeatedly.

After that terrible interrogation, Mare wakes up to find Maven over her. Sadly, even though I wish he didn’t, Maven still has feeling for her, and he forces her to give a speech about the Scarlet Guard, and also Maven gave all newbloods sanctuary from the Scarlet Guard. He forces Mare to experience all of this, and she hated every minute of it.

In this book, we learn more about Maven and Elara, and how Elara manipulated Maven so well in his mind that it makes me wonder if he ever had any emotions at all/ And the more he forced Mare to watch all of the newborns pledge their allegiance to him, the angrier she got, even though she couldn’t do anything. Then during a wedding between Maven and the Lakelader Irs Cygnet, the Scarlet Guard attacked to save Mare.

Mare was freed by Evangeline Samos, who was tired of her being in nice and simple imprisonment, so once she was freed, Mare left with the Scarlet Guard and reunited with everyone, including Cal. When they started moving against Maven and his enemies, that’s when things were coming out of the woodwork.

This leads me to Cameron’s POV. Cameron wants to save her brother Morrey so hard from the Red War camp. She keeps asking Colonel Farley and Diana Farley, but they said no, until Farley, while pregnant, comes up with a plan to break in the Choke I think, and get her brother back. They do, but thanks to Maven’s televised speech, Morrey, along with the rest of the Reds and newbloods, think that the Scarlet Guard are terrorists. But after some convincing, I think Morrey agrees. Also, she’s very suspicious about Cal and what he was doing behind doors (I was too).

Evangeline’s point of view was very…her. Her father wants to become a kingdom, breaking apart from Norta and wants to become Queen. Evangeline just wants to be with her girlfriend while she’s married to her brother. But things don’t go as planned as Evangeline thought, because with the meeting with the Scarlet Guard, her father, and Queen Anabel Leloran said that Cal and Evangeline to be married, and for Cal to take the throne. Mare left and Cal followed her, and Mare told Cal not to do it…but he didn’t say it back. So Mare turned around and left, leaving me to finally finish this series with War Storm. I’m enjoying this series so much and it’s one of my favorites.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment