Home

Saturday, December 17, 2022

Book Review: Dragon Castle by Joseph Bruchac

Dragon CastleDragon Castle by Joseph Bruchac
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

I truly enjoyed this one. I thought for a minute that I wouldn’t enjoy it, but as I kept on reading, it turns out that this doesn’t feel like a YA novel-this feels like a novel about a young man wanting to save his home from an evil baron and his daughter, even though it was just him and his brother. His parents were hanging out with the fae under a false invitation, and they came home the moment they heard the younger son’s voice.

This book was a really good fantasy, along with a side of learning Slovak words that I would never care about. It also has a inbetween story about the legend of Pavol the Good, and I had a fear that this tale would take over the novel, but in reality it didn’t. It just enhanced the story as the main character, Rashko, figures out how to fight the evil Baron Temny and his daughter, Poteshenie and her demon cat, Laska. I also liked how the Slovak words were slipped in there, along with the English translation of it, which I was very happy about, because I’ve never read a book like this before.

And the way this book is set up, you wouldn’t believe that Rashko was the only smart boy throughout the series. But as you keep on reading, you realize that he is, but at the same time he loves his family so much that he would do anything to protect them. I liked how in Pavol’s story, he has a pouch on his side and picks up certain things so when it’s time, he uses them to kill the dragons, but only keeps one alive to help protect the castle. And seeing the dragon from the legend was shocking, because I thought he was dead this whole time-not sleeping. But I really enjoyed this book, would highly recommend.


View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment