Home

Thursday, October 27, 2022

Three Book Reviews-the rest of October

Murder in the Drawing Room (Cleopatra Fox #3)Murder in the Drawing Room by C.J. Archer
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

A little bit confusing with finding out who's cheating on the husband (or wife), then turns into a murder when the wife is dead in her drawing room. Cleopatra and Harry Armitage solves the case of whodoneit, and I have to save, even though this one is my least favorite one out of the three I've read, I've really enjoyed this one. I loved Cleo and Harry's banter, I loved how Cleo was fighting so hard to find what she wanted, and the whole other storyline about the cook pocketing the money was funny, not gonna lie. Still liked it though.

View all my reviews

 *~*~*~*~*~*~*

Gothghul Hollow (Warhammer Horror)Gothghul Hollow by Anna Stephens
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Killer. Sorceress. Scholar. Priest.

These four people team up to stop a beast that is attacking the Hollows and unraveling a mystery that starts with one word: Mhurghast.

I really enjoyed this book. It was short, yes, but it was a good short novel that deals with magic, murder, a beast that turns out to be something else, and also a mystery. My favorite out of all of them was the sharpshooter Runar and the sorceress Erdea. The priest Tiberius was okay, but the father, A-A-ric (dang right I did it like that inner-city school skit by Key and Peele) I really didn’t like, mostly because he kept sheltering Erdea with everything and it was really ticking me off.

The beast reminded me oddly of the tale of the Beast of Gevaudan in the beginning, but then as the mystery of Mhurgast starts to unravel, starting with Erdea’s mother, Hepizibah I think her name was. She started to do research on the Four Heralds, and then it became her obsession as she worked so hard on figuring it out, that when she gave birth to Erdea, the beast came and took her, leaving baby Erdea there.

The hint of a romance is there between Erdea and Runar, the sharpshooter, but it wasn’t much, which is very refreshing and it didn’t overpower the story. The four of them worked to unravel the mystery of the Mhurghast, and when they did in the end, it turned out to be a vampire named Genevieve Dieudonne, which I have to say, I’ve never read a fantasy that had a vampire in it, and I kinda like it. Genevieve is very interesting as a character and I want to read more of her story. Who was she? Why was she the beast? What did she learn that could help them solve the mystery of the Mhurghast? I want to know more, but maybe one day I will.

View all my reviews

*~*~*~*~*~*

Blood and Fog (Buffy the Vampire Slayer)Blood and Fog by Nancy Holder
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

So this Buffy novel fell flat for me. Yes, it takes place in season six, and yes, it does have the Spuffy pairing, but in all honesty, it fell flat for me. The whole thing with Buffy hiding her relationship with Buffy was just weird, then Xander, Tara, Dawn or Anya was barely in it, maybe like a couple of seconds before they disappeared. Angelus, Darla and Dru was in it as well, but as a flashback.

Jack the Ripper as a fae was…okay?? I guess??? It didn’t feel like I should be all scared of him and stuff. He was just all, “I’m going to unleash hell on Sunnydale with a fog, unalive 12 women and become and god” and I was all like…okay? Can you do something more sinister, more evil, I guess? But I guess he can’t??? And the whole Tuatha thing was weird as well, along with the thing of ‘Buffy’s blood is going to drip by her enemy’ and it turns out to be…Willow??? Of all people??

(I know why, since I’ve watched season six).

This just fell flat for me, sadly, and then the other side story of Giles in England was just weird as hell as well. But while I did hear the flashbacks of the Fanged Four (which I actually liked because they made the book much better, to be honest) I did hear Dru’s voice, and maybe Darla’s?? But throughout the book I did hear Spike’s voice, so there’s that.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment