Home

Sunday, August 14, 2022

Book Review: The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

The UnhoneymoonersThe Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

This book isn’t that funny, TBH. I hate starting out a book review like this, but it’s the truth. The only time it made me wheeze laugh was when they brought up Cub Foods, and that was my childhood store that me, my mama, and my grandmama went into every single friday. Now yes, the free trip to Maui was cool and amazing, but to lie to your boss when you meet him that you’re married to your worst enemy, to me, is wrong. Then the whole ending kinda threw me off when they did the whole ‘my sister’s husband flirted with me, and oh we found out that he’s a massive serial cheater and had cheated on his wife with three women’ and then Olive’s life turning upside down-from getting fired to breaking up with Ethan…it was a whole-ass mess. I was so close to DNFing this book because of how chaotic it was, but there was some good parts to it…the Cub Foods mention was the only thing that made me laugh real hard. The rest…the rest was just one weird ride that was just otay.

First off, we meet a young woman named Olive who’s twin sister is getting married, and she has to deal with all the wedding shit that goes with a wedding. During the reception, erryone gets sick with some stomach flu, and that leaves Olive going on a honeymoon…with none other than the man she hates more than life itself, more than me hating Dio and Maven with a passion…Ethan Thomas. The man basically has a weird phobia with buffets and hates Olive’s guts.

First off, he fat-shames her, which is a huge-ass YIKES in my book. Then they have to act married when they get there, and then they spend half the vacation spending time with Sophie, his ex, and her fiance, Billy (the assistant manager of Cub Foods…DAMMIT), and then they meet up with Olive’s boss and his wife for dinner.

Then the one sex scene was just eh, okay. Kinda wanted more, but it happened close to the end, and when the went back to the real world, that’s when Olive lost her dream job with her dream business, Dane hit on her, and when she told Ethan he didn’t believe her, so they broke up, then she told Ami about Dane, and then the sister didn’t believe her.

Uh…okay…I thought this book was about enemies to lovers, the thing booktok likes??? Where the hell did all this hate and animosity come from, all because Olive told the truth about the sister’s husband? All in all, this book confused the hell out of me and I did like it, but I wish it was less confusing, more funny, and more enemies to my liking before they become lovers. This is otay, like I said, nothing to run home and tell mama about, tbh.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment