Home

Saturday, October 9, 2021

Book Review: Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard

Red Queen (Red Queen #1)Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

When I first picked up this book, I wasn’t in the mood to even read this book, and that was a couple years ago, I think. Then I picked it up now, and I’m so glad that I read it. I really enjoyed it and it was very different from the fantasy that I’m used to reading. I was shocked about the guns in the book for a second, but then as I kept reading, it kinda works in this world and even the small scientific explanations of the powers were pretty fun to read.

BUT MAVEN. I don’t see why everyone swoons over this man-I hate him. I want to kill him so bad after I read THAT SCENE because WTF my guy. But I sensed that he’s a jumped up little shit the moment he came on the scene, and then when I read that chapter...MOTHER-

Before I get into that and the reason why I hate him, let’s get into the book, shall we?

So here’s a girl named Mare, who is stealing to keep her family well fed and whatnot. She is a friend of Kilorn and sister to Shade, who had “supposedly” died but I’ll get into that the more I get into this review. She is shocked that Kilorn is getting conscripted into the army-something Mare doesn’t want to happen. Because a couple months later she’ll be conscripted into the war as well, so she goes to her friend to find some way to smuggle her and Kilorn out of the Stilts and far away from the Red and Silver world. From there, she meets a woman named Farley, who is part of a revolutionary group called the Scarlet Guard.

Mare took Farley’s price-which meant going to the Silver Island to get something really expensive and really priceless. Unfortunately...that doesn’t happen. She gets caught, but her sister had her hand shattered, and she felt so bad that she went out and met a boy named Cal, whom she tried to steal from...who turns out to be the Crown Prince, who shocked Mare when she got the job of being a maid, and her first job was her being the help at the Queenstrial. During the Queenstrial, Mare’s powers manifest...and she can do lightning.

So what happens when the royal family catches you and brings you to them?

Mare is turned into a lost Silver Princess to hide that she is a Red that can do lightning, and her time in court, though it was short, was very different from everyone else. She had to go to protocol, she had to go take classes on how to be a lady and go to lunches and stuff with the Queen...but at the same time, she’s secretly aligning herself with Farley and the Scarlet Guard, along with Maven...who turns around and betrayed her and Cal at the drop of a hat. Like why, my guy, why….

But then when she and Cal was going to get executed...Maven played a video so twisted, so horrible that I don’t know if I can even call him a proper King for what he and Queen Elara did to Cal’s father (forces him to do) and then the twisted and malicious lies just hurts my soul SO SO MUCH and I fucking hated it so much that I wanted to scream. But I’m glad Mare and Cal escaped, and I’m really glad that Farley is still alive...BUT SHADE IS ALIVE. W...TF….how???

Turns out, this boy can teleport.

Shocking, I know, but then, it kinda fit Shade.

I truly enjoyed this book and I’m glad I read it (and also brought the rest of the series to read in between my other books) and I can’t wait to read more of the series.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment