Home

Thursday, November 14, 2019

Book Review: A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1)A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book....this book, this book, this book. I thought when I first opened it and started to read it that it'll bore me to death, and I put it down. So when I brought it last year and this year decided to read it after watching the show...and I'm so glad I did. I couldn't put it down, even though I'm reading about three other books at once. But no one didn't tell me that I'd fall for Matthew Clairmont. No one told me that I'd cry over this book, over Bishmont and cheering for them. No one also didn't tell me that I was going to hunger for the next two books that I'm getting for Christmas.

But can we talk about Diana and her magic? Like good lord, woman-witchwater, witchfire, can knock people out of your mind-whoo girl. I wouldn't use it too if it'll attract a lot of attention from nearly everyone. And the book-the Ashmole 782...and how her dad enchanted it so she could get it...that was honestly brilliant.

And Matthew...god I can go on and on about my new husband (yes...yes I could. Because I wasn't supposed to fall for him, but I did...and now I love him and want to read more of him dammit). At first when Matthew appeared, I went "oh great, another Edward...yeah I hate you now." but the more I read the book to the point that I realize that yeah Matthew has some Edward Cullen-like tendencies, but then the more you know him, the more you realize that he's half (actually, he's better) than Edward Cullen will ever be. Sure he *tries* to boss Diana around, but I like the fact that Diana put her foot down and don't like sit back like Bella did in the Twilight novels.

(If it sounds like I'm bashing Twilight, I'm not...it's a comparison and honestly, I think I'm doing a good job comparing them).

I loved this book so much that I felt like I should just go ahead and get books two and three since I already have the fourth book (thanks, school). But before I do, we gotta talk about the bad guys-Peter Knox, who I hate so much, Satu...I hope she dies in a ditch somewhere, Dominico and Gellert or Javier or whatever his name is can go away...dammit.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment