Home

Friday, February 25, 2022

Book Review: A Touch of Darkness (Hades x Persephone #1) by Scarlett St. Clair

A Touch of Darkness (Hades & Persephone, #1)A Touch of Darkness by Scarlett St. Clair
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

This book is the first time I’ve read a Hades and Persephone retelling-and I enjoyed this. It was actually really good. I was gonna put this as a four star because of my problem of hating the mother in the story (*cough* Demeter*cough*) but I put it as five star because it's different. We all know the story of how Hades fell in love with Persephone and he “kidnapped” her to take her to the underworld and all that, but in this book, it’s very different.

Persephone is a student at New Athens who’s working on graduating college in six months, and to get a job and also live as a mortal. One night, she and her friend Lexa go to a club called Nevernight, which is owned by Hades, the God of the Dead. There they meet Adonis (whom I hate with a passion) and she starts to have a good time-until she meets Hades. The both of the played a simple game of cards and when Persephone lost, that’s when Hades made a deal with her: create life in the Underworld.

At first, Persephone was confused-she didn’t know how to create life in the underworld. Each time she uses her magic, everything dies. But the more she spent time down in the Underworld-meeting the souls and spending time with them, hanging out with Hecate and learning how to use her magic, even playing with Ceberus. But she didn’t expect that she was going to fall in love with Hades.

And Hades…oh my word. Hades in my new book husband, OH MY GOD. I can read him and be around him and never get tired of him. He’s TALL (my weakness), he’s very kind when he wanna be, cordial when he wanna be, and HIS HORNS ARE TALL AF AND I LOVE IT. Oh, and the spice is really good…I just wanna know if Hades eat (y’all know what I mean…) but other than that…Hades is always secretive like a mother’s tight purse.

Then shit kinda hit the fan with Adonis posting Persephone’s article and nearly hurt her if it wasn’t for Hades for stopping him. Then when he started blackmailing her…oh my god Adonis you idiot. But at the end Persephone found her magic, Persephone and Hades told each other that they loved each other (Which was perfect, honestly). I can’t wait to read book two to see how this goes because I’m now invested in this retelling.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment