Home

Thursday, May 30, 2024

Book Review: Proven Guilty: A Novel of the Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Proven Guilty (The Dresden Files, #8)Proven Guilty by Jim Butcher
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Even though this was a slow read for me, I enjoyed this book nonetheless. Harry Dresden, Chicago's only Wizard, has dealt with a lot. But with a case dealing with horror movie monsters coming to life and attacking him, and someone very close to him using magic to the point that she may or may not have messed up someone's psyche for good, it's up to tired ol' Harry to grab his blasting rod, his skull Bob, his dog Mouse, and every single wit he has to solve the case and find out why his friend would do such a thing and maybe try to fix everything.

This one might be my least favorite Dresden, but that doesn't mean that I didn't enjoy this book. I liked how it went from Harry trying to get over what happened during the Warden's meeting with the Merlins, to how the phobophages got in and started attacking people and leaving some wounded, to finding out it was Molly that was did magic on her friends, to scare them to stop taking drugs and put them on the straight and narrow, only to realize that she may have scarred her now ex-boyfriend, Nelson, with the spell she did.

The most shocking thing throughout the book was Molly's mom, Chasity, actually taking a stance and went into Arctis Tor to save Molly when the agents of Queen Mab kidnaped her. I wasn't expecting it, it was so left field and it was totally badass. I did laugh a bit when Caine actually tried to sell Dresden on ebay-that was pretty darn funny. Anyway, back to goin into Arctis Tor to save Molly, Dresden does an oopsie and let out the Summer Fire, and once they saved Molly, had to get out of there quick before pretty much all of Winter Court comes down on his, Chasity, Molly, Thomas and Murph's heads. When they did leave though, Dresden did think that he saw Mab's eyes winking at him somewhere. Oh, and his godmother, the Leanshitde, was locked up for some reason, and that she wanted to leave, but sadly couldn't.

I enjoyed reading this book, it was funny and showed the best Dresden, even when he's bone tired, but at the same time, it was fun to read and I enjoyed myself. Gave it a four because it was just slow for me, that's all.

View all my reviews

 

No comments:

Post a Comment